- Rocket makes an excellent 6-year-old.
- Is it wrong that I kinda like it when Rocket gets overtired and irrational and cranky, because he acts all babyish and cuddly and for once sits on my lap without squirming?
- (Yes, Janelle, that’s probably wrong).
- We bought Ava a cell phone because we keep forgetting her on early release day. I wish these things weren’t true. I do.
- We’re having a hard time explaining to her that it’s not a real cell phone, though perhaps it resembles one. Rather, it is a parent/grandparent connection device, and that is all. No internet. No phone numbers of friends. No use whatsoever other than to call the mother or father to let them know you’re waiting for their sorry asses. Again.
- You know what’s an awkward conversation? Trying to explain to the nanny (in Spanish no less) that unless she’s near death she really just needs to show up and watch the kids and, no, I don’t really care about germs, or whether she’s hopped up on DayQuil, or if the kids are plugged into the television for 4 hours…I just need her here.
- So we went to the mall yesterday. It was fun because I was with my family (including my brother & his family, who I adore and it’s a dream having them around – seriously, like heaven). It was not fun because I was with everybody else’s families (you know, everyday people at the mall), which is entertaining at best, though more often, just painful. And can we talk for a moment about the music most of those clothing stores play? That pounding wanna-be techno/pop crap – these idiot chicks with high-pitched whiney voices chanting redundant lines about scoring rich men and displaying their large asses? Even if the clothing itself was something other than over-priced, poorly made garments, made in China with synthetic fibers, I wouldn’t enter their doors anyway, on account of that sound. Holy shit I sound like an old person.
- Okay but don’t get me wrong. I am not some sort of clothing snob. I’m not even a clothing critic. I’m so fashion lame I’m barely allowed to have an opinion on clothing. I just don’t like paying money for crap. I’d rather pay a little more and get half the items. And, I like cotton. And I hate annoying pop music – the commercialization of it all – the shoveling of shit into people’s hands at ridiculous prices because the consumer population is brainwashed into thinking they MUST HAVE THIS ITEM. The end.
- Speaking of snobs, I read a blog post about this woman who rejected all the women in a local mother’s group (and wrote a whole blog post smashing them ) because they didn’t put on make-up or dress nicely (in her opinion) to an outing at an apple orchard. At an apple orchard (yes, clearly this woman has some misguided notions of appropriate event-attire). And though I see idiot all the time, this was my first real exposure to such overt superficiality and meanness. Most people communicate their sense of superiority in underhanded, subtle ways. She pretty much just announced (and though I’m paraphrasing, the message was clear): “I’m better than them because I’m better looking, wear make-up, and have fashion sense. They have ‘let themselves go’ (direct quote), and therefore, are not worth my time.” And there were comments in support of this snobbery. Friends, these are the evil popular girls in high school, only grown up and writing blogs. It’s unreal. She was awful. I hate that crap. How stunning that there are actual grown-ups who define people (and dismiss them) due to the way they look, only and completely.
- You know who I don’t hate? You people. I was straight terrified to publish that letter to Rocket. I bawled writing the whole thing and after I did, I felt this incredible relief, but it felt like a journal entry, not something you publish on the internet. But I try not to make decisions based on fear, so I said “fuck it” and I hit publish, getting ready for comments of disdain, or, worse yet, SILENCE. But what did I get? A whole shitload of awesome. Thank you thank you.
And thanks for voting for me during that contest. I don’t really have a chance in hell of winning (since I’m all small-time and stuff), but whatevs, it means a lot to even be nominated, let alone have a few people vote for me, which I know you did.
Have a great week, people. And check out Rocket on his new bike (right before he crashed into a bush):